Therapeutic Foster Care
The Children's Shelter Foster Care Program provides children with 24-hour substitute therapeutic family care in private homes. These loving, warm, accepting and stable homes care for children who must be temporarily separated from their permanent home. The Foster Care Program recruits families from diverse backgrounds to fulfill each child's ethnic background. The Program provides training and support for potential parents.
The Shelter facilitates the adoption of children with special needs by recruiting, training, and representing prospective adoptive families to Child Protective Services in the hopes that the family is "matched" with children awaiting adoption. The Shelter provides support to children and adoptive families during every phase of the adoption process.
Basic requirements for Foster/Adoptive Parents:
- Be at least 23 years old
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be financially self-sustaining
- Be married, single, divorced or widowed
- Consent to a criminal and abuse/neglect background check
- Attend and adhere to the agency’s policy on discipline and behavior management
- Attend required pre-service training
- Complete CPR/First Aid Certification
- Be in good emotional and mental health
- Pass a fire and health inspection of your home
- Have adequate sleeping space
- Ready to offer love, care and safety to children in need
Download the prospective adoption / foster care application
Want more info? Complete the form below.
Complete the online prospective adoption / foster care information request form
Inquiry Meetings are held on a scheduled basis between 9am-5pm, M-F or attend one the evening inquiry meetings held twice a month to answer your questions and provide you with additional information. All families interested in Foster Care and/or Adoption must attend an Inquiry Meeting. To get the next meeting date, please contact The Children’s Shelter. Inquiry Meetings are held at 2939 W. Woodlawn.
Download the 2013 meeting dates & times
For More Information
If you would like more information on how to help improve the lives of children in need through Foster Care and Adoption, contact us:
The Children’s Shelter
Foster Care/Adoption Services
2939 W. Woodlawn
San Antonio, TX 78228